Alburquerque Bohol Travel Guide
Alburquerque is a 5th class municipality of the 1st Congressional District of Bohol with an area of 28.93 square kilometers and coordinates of 9° 36' N, 123° 57' E. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 8,715 people in 1,670 households. It is located 12 kilometers away from Tagbilaran City; surrounded by the towns of Baclayon, Loay, and Sikatuna, and the Bohol Sea respectively.
Locally known as “Albur”, the town is composed of eleven (11) barangays, 5 of which are located along the coast and 6 inland. Coastal barangays includes: Bahi, San Agustin, Western Poblacion, Eastern Poblacion, Sta. Filomena, and Tagbuane. Upland barangays includes Ponong, Toril, Basacdacu, Cantiguib and Dangay.
The town is a favorite tourist destination because of its many natural wonders. It once boast of having one of the longest and heaviest Python in captivity – Prony. Due to political reasons, Prony though was transferred to the Municipality of Baclayon and later died.
Largely visited by tourists are the native industries of calamay making, pottery making, weaving of raffia using locally made loom, weaving of bure placemats, fan weaving, basket and broom making, salt making, and other micro local industries. Because of these industries, Albur then is considered as one of the progressive coastal towns in the province of Bohol.
For a display of this native handicrafts, The Bohol Balai Inc. has built a huge hut with pebbled floor, showcasing an assortment of fashion and native handicrafts, delicacies, clothing, novelties and other souvenir items. The Bohol Balai Inc. is a collaboration of the Municipality of Alburquerque, the Kahugpongan sa mga Alburanong Kababayen-an, a women's cooperative, spearheaded by the town's first lady, Mrs. Ruth M. Tungol, and a private sector.
Albur also has exotic marine sites. There is a Municipal Marine Sanctuary at barangay Sta. Filomena offering a beach and a Mangrove Protected Area.
The sandy white beach is provided with cottages for rent and the cool, crystal clear blue water is a sure respite after a hot and tiring day. The verdant mangrove at the sides, home to various marine species plus shore birds, reptiles and insects, incessantly lures nature lovers to its hidden treasures. Bamboo rafts are provided for the visitors who are interested in marine ecology.
Another attraction in Albur is the Sta. Monica Stone Church and convent. The beginning of a new church was launched in 1842 although it was only 27 years later, in June 18, 1869, when it was made a separate Diocesan parish. Deeply religious, the people of Albur celebrates annually the feast of Sta. Monica every 4th of May. The feast day is usually enlivened by discos, competitions and sports tournaments.
Albur is a mixture of rolling, moderately steep and steep terrain though the coastal area is more or less of level terrain. The municipal area is covered by grassland, coconut, shrubs and built-up area. The northern portion is mostly covered with grass, with exception of a small area in the northeast which is covered with shrubs. The southern portion along the coast is covered with coconut, with a small built-up area in the west.
The town has only one major river basin, the Tagbuane river, situated on the eastern part of Albur although it has several small rivers and creeks that mostly drain into the Bohol Sea. Trekking thru rolling and steep terrain, verdant grasslands and traversing the Tagbuane River is a wholesome undertaking enjoyed at most by foreigners.
Adding to the ease of travel from port to other parts of Bohol, Albur has its own local port situated in barangay Western Poblacion equipped with proper lighting and needed gadgets and very well maintained. The port serves local fishermen as well as other fishing vessels. Cargo vessels often drop by to transport equipments and raw materials from other neighboring provinces.
The local government is geared towards further development of its attractions and the enhancement of the local native industries to boost the tourism activity in the area. It is set to improve further the present animal sanctuary to make it a primary attraction of the town and to establish it as an educational center – teaching conservation and animal welfare to all who visit.
Albur’s historical heritage is very rich. It was once a part of Baclayon. It is named after Alfonso Alburquerque, the famous Portuguese seafarer and conqueror of Malaca, Sumatra. The town was established on June 9, 1868.
bohol | bohol hotels | tagbilaran panglao | jagna | bohol island | bohol blog | bohol directory | bohol photos | bohol fiestas bohol diving | bohol churches | bohol old houses | bohol caves | bohol mangroves | resources | tos | privacy | sitemap | bohol photos