Clarin Town, Bohol
Clarin is a thriving coastal town situated in the northwestern part of the Bohol province, about 60.9 kilometers from City of Tagbilaran. It lies almost halfway between the towns of Tubigon and Inabanga. In fact, the barangays located at the outskirts of the town once belong to the towns of Tubigon, Inabanga; and going inland, of Carmen.
Considered a 5th class municipality, it has a population of 18,871 people according to the 2007 census spread sporadically over an area of 6,279 hectares. The population though is concentrated in the Poblacion area where the Catholic Church and the public market and other business establishments are located.
The town of Clarin is politically sub-divided into 24 barangays, to wit: Bacani, Bogtongbod, Bonbon, Bontud, Buacao, Buangan, Cabog, Caboy, Caluwasan, Candajec, Cantoyoc, Comaang, Danahao, Katipunan, Lajog, Mataub, Nahawan, Poblacion Centro, Poblacion Norte, Poblacion Sur, Tangaran, Tontunan, Tubod and Villaflor.
Out of the 24 barangays, 9 offer elementary education. They are the Clarin Central, Bonbon, Lajog, Nahawan, Bacani, Danahaw, Buangan, Bogtongbod and Cabog barangays. There are two (2) primary schools; one in Buntod and another in Buacao. Secondary education is offered by the Clarin National School of Fisheries.
Original inhabitants of the town mostly hailed from the neighboring island of Cebu. The people are hardworking, peace loving and friendly with a good sense of humor. Most often than not, the people are engaged in the trading of goods to other Bohol towns and its neighbor, the island of Cebu.Town’s History
The town of Clarin was originally called “Can-Ogong” after a popular and influential inhabitant of the community called Ogong who had a habit of hanging up bamboo tubes for salted fish. “Cang-Ogong” means “Ogong’s Place”.
It was a “visita” of Inabanga in 1852 and of Tubigon in 1881. When the town was organized into a regular municipality on January 31, 1919, its name was changed into Clarin in honor of the first Civil Governor of Bohol, Hon. Anecito Clarin.
It was established as a parish 5 years later. A provisional church was built and dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel whose feast day falls on September 29. From 1927 to 1937, for a period of 10 years, the Recollects administered the parish and then were succeeded by the seculars.
During World War II, the town of Clarin was occupied by the Japanese forces. Its central school building was used by them as a concentration camp for suspected enemies. The town was set free when the Japanese were finally defeated and Bohol declared liberated on May 25, 1945 by Major General William H. Arnold, Commander of the American Division.