The recorded existence of the town of Tubigon dated as far back as the early part of the 17th century. Perhaps attracted by the richness of nature’s gift bestowed to the place, early settlers came and settled along the banks of a river that traversed the community. No written records would show their origin, but it can be surmised that they were the descendants of early Malays from the countries of Southeast Asia who migrated to the Philippines in small bancas called “Barangay”.
The love and feeling of belongingness that developed among themselves through constant associations with each other caused them to organize themselves into a political unit under a headman called “Cato” now termed as the Barangay captain. Because the community was always submerged in water when the traversing river overflows its banks during rainy seasons, the settlers called the place “Tubigan” designating a place having water. Later this was change to “Tubigon” meaning a place bounding in water.
The organization of the settlers into a community took initial steps somewhere in 1816 under a recognized headman, Yguiz Hutora, who was later succeeded by Teniente Mijares. An improvised chapel was built on an elevated site of the settlement. Having without a priest the religious needs of the community were attended to by the Spanish friars of Calape. A parish coadjutor from this town came to Tubigon for baptism of children as well as to administer mass on Sundays.
A year after Teniente Mijares’ administration the community was formally organized into a town in 1819 by authority of the Spanish Governor of Cebu. Credits for the achievements went to Teniente Matong, the next headman, who untiringly worked for the governor’s approval.
The community was proclaimed an independent town from the town of Calape and Teniente Matong became the first Gobernadorcillo with the title of “Capitan”. El Pueblo de Tubigon was the official seal inscribed.
From 1852 the authorities started to fix the boundaries of the political unit. On March 8th of the year, Sitio Bacane was made the boundary between Tubigon and Inabanga. In 1856 the boundary with Calape was fixed at Mandaug. On June 19, 1865 the boundary between Tubigon and Catigbi-an was at Sampilangon river and on September 14, 1913 the boundary with Antequera was fixed at Sitio Tubod. By virtue of the proclamation of governor a year later creating the new town of Clarin, Tubigon lost five barrios and the boundaries set in the order is the present barrio of Maca-as.
From obscurity, Tubigon has now developed into a progressive community.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.