Most Holy Trinity Cathedral is located at Poblacion, Talibon, Bohol. It can be found just in front of Talibon’s own municipal hall.
Talibon Cathedral, much like any cathedral in Bohol, was built from stone. Blocks of coral rock were hauled by the inhabitants from the sea to be used in the construction. The church was built on an elevated plain overlooking the sea.
The outside of the Talibon Cathedral looks like a very old constructed building. The inside was already redecorated that fits according to the modern style. The style is very simple but elegant. The Holy Trinity, carved according to the size of a man, is placed at the center of the altar. The ceiling is decorated with paintings of heavenly beings.
The Talibon Cathedral’s belfry is located just in front of the cathedral.
Christianization of Talibon started long before the arrival of Miguel Lopez de Legazpi in 1565. This was gleaned from the archival researches of Rev. Fr. Jose Maria S. Luengo, Ph.D., priest historian and founder of Mater Dei College of Tubigon, Bohol.
After Magellan’s death on April 27, 1521 in the hands of Lapulapu, the Spaniards suffered another terrible defeat that made them finally flee Cebu. That very night of horror of May 1, 1521, amidst a sumptuous Dandansoy banquet tendered as ploy, 27 Spanish commanders and crew of the galleons Trinidad, Concepcion, and Victoria were killed. It was a bitter cry of vengeance for the rude conduct of Magellan’s men who ignominiously raped the 50 virgins of Cebu.
Fleeing for a dear life, the Trinidad’s crew sailed towards the direction of Getafe-Talibon. By divine plan some of the crew disembarked and mingled with the natives. The took native wives and started to teach the rudiments of Christianity in the place. They also dedicated the place to the Santisima Trinidad in honor of the patron of their fateful ship.
Hence, the survivors of that Cebu massacre who sought refuge in Talibon became the first lay missionaries to Bohol. Fr. Luengo called them the Trinidad Christian of Talibon who evangelized the natives through the priesthood of the laity.
These facts were proven when in 1596 which marked the advent of the excellent Jesuit missionaries and educators through the concessions of Fr. Pedro Chirino, S.J., the Provincial Superior of the Jesuits in the Philippines, sent Fr. Juan de Torres, S.J. and Fr. Gabriel Sanchez, S.J. to officially commence the spiritual activities of western Bohol, particularly Loboc and Baclayon. From there, Fr. de Torres proceeded to the mountains called “Las Minas de Talibon” where many people from all parts of the island converged for the gold and wash.
Blessed Sacrament Chapel
Upon his arrival, Fr. de Torres was very much welcomed by the Spaniards and the first Christians of Bohol catechized by the Spanish lay missionaries, the escapees of the May 1, 1521 Cebu massacre. Fr. de Torres was surprised and happy to discover that right in the mountain ranges and slopes of Talibon, where the Boholano Christians lived and prayed together, a church was built by the natives themselves.
Therefore, the church of Talibon by chronology, organization and operation became the cradle of Christianity in Bohol. Over two centuries passed, Talibon as a parish was created under the patronage of the Most Holy Trinity. Fr. Ramon de Santa Ana became the first Parish Priest.
In 1852 the construction of the permanent Talibon Cathedral started. As was the practice during the Spanish regime, forced labor was employed. Talibon Cathedral was completed in 1899. The convent was constructed in that year, too.
Top of Talibon Cathedral - Most Holy Trinity